Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Conclusion

If you landed this page and want to read about my tour from the beginning, please scroll down to the end this page or use the menu bar on the right side of this page, start from the top of the "Blog Archive" which is in reverse order.

I had a great time on my tour, rode 429 miles over an 8 day period, had a rest day in between. I enjoyed conversing with people from all around Michigan. It brought back many memories when visiting places or riding through them. I also want to thank my wife for allowing me to implement and successfully execute my summer vacation plans with the kids and this bike tour.
Well I owe the waitress $10, I lost 3 Lbs while riding 429 miles, that's 143 miles per pound, I need to lose 15 more pounds. So my next tour needs to be 2145 miles, I don't think so, no time for a tour of that length.

Things that I would do different:
I think I would pick a different time of year to take this tour maybe late August or the week before Labor day weekend or early June. July to mid-August is very unpredictable when it comes to weather. At least it did not rain everyday, it only rained twice and I was never riding while it rained.

Things that I would upgrade or replace for my next tour:
New Panniers,  mine are over thirty years old and not water proof.
Seal up my tent seams, they leaked even with the rainfly. The rainfly does not cover my entire tent, it only covers the opening at the top of the tent. OR make my own rainfly that covers the entire tent.
Industrial strength USB cables that can take a beating
I need to rebuild my rear wheel or purchase a new one, I'm still researching on why I had so many issues with it.
My feet overheated  and were always wet from sweating, my biking shoes do not breath very well. The only solution to this is buy biking sandals. Bike Nashbar has them, I will watch for them when they go on sale.





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I had a chance to catch up with you Bob!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the lake shore!
    Cousin Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a ride. Looks like overall it was a good trip. Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing your pictures.

    Audrey Shaffier-Clark
    Haslett High Class of 82

    ReplyDelete