Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 3 Sanford to Hersey, Mi 62 miles - Total 188 miles

Day 3 - rode 63 miles... I woke up from a sound sleep when a severe wind gust shook my tent and seem too hit it like a brick at 4:30am, I opened my eyes and saw lightening flashes and heard a lot of roaring thunder. It may have been a brick of wind hitting my tent, but I think I shit a brick at the same time. Just a few hours before this I had a six pack of Guinness feeling great and sleeping like log, I guess you can call it "Passed Out". This was a rude awakening from mother nature. The weather report mentioned possible thunderstorms in the morning but I was not thinking of that it was going to be  "Early in the morning". So of course I was not at all prepared,  I left everything out on the picnic table such as electronics, camping gear ETC . I knew I had very little time, like less than a minute to get everything in the tent before the rain hit. First thing was to get my flashlight and now panic stricken and could not find my flash light, it was under my sleeping bag.  I finally found it and ran out of the tent half naked(I will not tell you which half). Then the rain hit hard in a deluge of a down pour. I grabbed most of the stuff off the table and threw it into the tent, but I could not find the rainfly to cover the top opening of the tent. As I am scrambling to find the rainfly, I'm throwing clothes on top of the tent to stop it from flooding inside my tent. I found it on the ground where a gust of wind must have blown it, attach it to the tent. Now everything inside of the tent is soaked as well as me. I worked mopping up all the little puddles on my tent floor and get back to sleep around 6:00am.


Woke up 9:00am and started packing up to get on the road by 10:00. I was ready to take down my tent and low n' behold I hear thunder, then check my radar on my phone and I see another storm coming my way. I head for cover once again back into the tent. Thunderstorms subsided and checked the radar to see that the skies will say clear for the next few hours. 


I pack up and hit the road by 1:00pm where my next stop over will be Hersey. I ride on the Pere Marquette rail trial for a about 11 miles and stop for Lunch at a Mexican restaurant and ate huge Wet Burrito combination plate, rice and beans lots of sour cream about 2k calories worth of food. So I was discussing my trip with the waitress and she said "I bet your going to lose some weight after your trip", I said "10 dollars not, especially if I keep eating this way". So I ate the whole 2k and I pry myself off the seat with a bloated stomach and get on my bike, ride about 1/4 mile and find a bike shop. I needed more spokes since I had only one spare spoke. The owner gave my two spokes for free since they were used ones. I get back on the road(trail) and at the same time I get back on the trail and older gentlemen cycling in the same direction exchanged greetings with me, we talked for about 50minutes(10Miles). We conversed about my current tour and his upcoming tour with an organized group that will be touring the upper portion of lower Michigan. We also talked transportation systems and politics. He was a great guy to talk too while riding and in which he was the Dean of Engineering Sciences at UDM (Unitversity Detroit Mercy) http://eng-sci.udmercy.edu/about/dean/index.htm  . I arrived into Hersey at 8:10 pm, now I need to dry out all my clothes in a very short time only have an hour of sun. Google maps bike route  http://goo.gl/maps/DLmc 

Stats:
Avg Speed 8.7Mph I had the 3 H's today, Heat, Headwinds and Humidity
Road kill 1 Small field Mouse.
Live Animals - Dozen Geese, 1/2 dozen rabbits, one snake crossing (I did not identify it, It was brown and that is all I know when I passed it) and a few field mice.
A deer that jumped out  20 feet in front of me and scared the crap out of me because I was looking off in the the woods in the opposite direction, that was real cool.
I did have a dog chase me, but did not come very close so it was not a close encounter.


Cool Bicycle rack
At a tunnel entrance this was after eating a large Mexican
 meal my got is extra bloated i wish it was special effects
Another bridge
Geese crossing had to stop but they would not go anywhere
 so they eventually move as I got closer
A downed tree across the trail, it was from the same storm that hit me. The weatherman was saying up to 50 to 60 Mph  winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment