Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 7 - Grand Haven to Alto 64 miles total 378 miles

Day 7 - Grand Haven to Alto

Woke around 8:00am and had the best breakfast on this trip eggs, bacon, potatoes and orange juice, thanks Kathy for making all that happen.

Got on the road around 9:30am and headed south toward Holland. 11:00am the headwinds and heat started to build up, heat does not bother me too much, but I will never get used to headwinds. Today was an uneventful day, I stopped at a Subway around 2:00pm somewhere southwest of Grand Rapids and people  pretty much kept to themselves, or maybe I made myself unapproachable not too sure what it was. So it was one of those days of just ride and keep on riding to get to your end point for the day. As I started heading east I had tailwinds which improved my avg for the day, but had some rolling hills to deal with.
Around 3:30pm I arrive at my destination the Tyler Creek County Club and campground. Park my bike in front of the clubhouse all hot and sweaty, I see people in suites or were well dressed walking around and I thought wow what a county club with a campground, hope they will let a smelly sweater biker in their club house so I walk in and the help was frantically running around doing things and i stood at the desk but no one was helping me so my gut was that I'm right who wants to help this sweaty old dude at the counter.Hmm I thought I may need to go somewhere else, but then someone stopped to help me, asked for rustic site and it was $25 normally $20 but it was still a holiday weekend even though its July 7th so every one charged Holiday rates for two weekend this 4th of July since it fell on a Wednesday.The only issue with being on  a bike is that you can't leave and easily go somewhere else, you kind of have to take it or take it and that is the choice you have, who wants to bike another 10-15 miles to find another alternative after riding 64miles when temps are still in the 90's. So I pay the $25 and get a site next to a stream. Setup camp, take a shower and decide that I will eat at the country club grill.

The skies start to open up and  it downpours just as I was arriving at the club. Well to find out a wedding party is going on in back of the clubhouse and that is why there were well dressed people when I first arrived at the county club, it was the parents of the groom and bride who were inside making everyone run around when I walked in. So I looked at the menu, the burger looks good so I try to order one and they cannot make one because all the cooking equipment is utilized at the wedding. That's the kind of wedding it it? ...it's a deep fryer, burger maker type of Wedding I bet they got the rollers spinning some dogs and brats with heat lamps on them. So I order a Labbat Blue take a look at the back of the clubhouse and I see the rest of the people are not as well dressed, then I thought wow only if I could dress it up one more notch,  I could crash this thing. I opted out of that plan, because I had no slacks or dress shirt. So back to survival mode, the beers Labbat Blue beers were $2 and the only food they had were bags of chips and pretzels, so I have Pretzels, Barbecue potato chips, Doritos, more pretzels 4 bags in all, now if they only had Pork Rinds this would have topped everything off. So the rain stopped and after having 4 beers, I order 2 more to go and buy a cigar for $7 my total tab was $19. Get back to my site and make pasta, olive oil with hot sauce. I check my rear tire and noticed I broke another spoke and replace it. I get my fishing pole do some fishing in the stream get a few nibbles, smoke my cigar and drink my beers so it was a relaxing end of day.
Google maps of today's ride http://goo.gl/maps/AS1pF


Avg 12.8Mph
Roadkill stopped counting, maybe I was in a fog and that's why I was unapproachable
.

No comments:

Post a Comment